So, I woke up one morning, feeling no more suicidal than usual. I realised I had been woken up a little late (yeah yeah I have issues waking up still. I need someone to wake me every morning). It was a Tuesday and I had to be at the R.T.O (Regional Transport Office), like half hour ago. It’s where we Indians go for getting our driver’s license among other things. I did what I do best, I woke up got dressed (yeah yeah I had a bath and al). I was out of the house in 45 minutes, reached the R.T.O in half hour at quarter past eleven. I took my form went and stood in the queue (It’s one of the three things I love about Bombay, the queues, the rains and the trains). I finally reached the police officer’s counter 2 hrs later (duh, it takes that long in a queue). In the next minute or so I witnessed an array of emotions.
Joy, disgust, irritation, surprise, anticipation, contempt, loathing, anger, sympathy, and shame.
No seriously, all of the above and more. It’s truly possible. Here’s how the conversation went. (FYI the Bad Cop speaks in Marathi (local language of Bombay) and I reply in Hindi.)
Emotion: Joy (Finally I reached the counter/desk after spending eons in a queue, yay.)
Bad Cop: Name?
Good Me: Kameshwar Krishna Kaza.
Bad Cop: KAZA? Are u a Muslim (his expression was of disgust.)
Emotion: Surprise (at his expression, not at him calling me a Muslim. I am quite used to it. I mean with a sur
name like that and a beard like mine. Nope not his mistake.)
Good Me: No sir, I am a Hindu.
Emotion: irritation (what does my religion have to do with my license? )
Bad Cop: North Indian huh? From U.P. (Uttar Pradesh)? (With a finally I have my scapegoat of the hour expression)
Good Me: No sir, South Indian from Hyderabad.
Bad Cop: (Angry expression) so why did you have to come here. Did you want to have a Bombay tag attached? To make “Bombay” documents?
Emotion: Contempt (I knew where this conversation was heading to.)
Good Me: No sir, I have studied in this place for 5 years now so.
Bad Cop: Now you’ll go back? (With a you better go back expression.)
Good Me: No sir, I am planning to go for higher studies.
Emotion: Loathing (I was disgusted at his thought flow)
Bad Cop: So, go why do you need license. Go. (He gave me back my application with a victorious expression)
Good Me: But sir...
Bad Cop: You are not local here (resident) so, no proper documents as address proof
Good Me: Sir, I have a passport issued in “Bombay”
Bad Cop: Get, proper address proof and letter from Wadala R.T.O. Next.
Good Me: Sir, please write the reason for rejection of application on my form and sign n seal it.
Emotion: Anticipation (Hope he puts it in writing, then I’ll get to take his case)
Bad Cop: Oh now you are all formal huh. (ok have it your way expression.) No original address proof documents submitted assistant inspector (name) and (date)
Good Me: Sir, but I brought originals of passport, electricity bill, telephone bill and house maintenance bill.
Bad Cop: Go now, come afterwards with proper documents because you don’t live here. Next.
Emotion: shame (I feel ashamed for everything that led to a person in uniform to behave this way.)
Good Me: Ok sir, Thank you. I will come again.
Emotion: Sympathy (The way his life is turning out its nothing but sadness there, hence sympathy.)
Bad Cop: Neeeeeeeeeeeeextttttttttt.
Good Me: (yeah? go to hell.)
This is how a supposedly “responsible” person in uniform behaves. It’s not the first incident I have had, or heard about. Why was there so much hate in his eyes? What did I do to him? Did I cause him pain? Or my region, where I belong to in India is hated by him. What caused this? I hope it was a personal cause and not a part of THE mass political propaganda. It’s the story of the new age India where each region wants nothing to do with the others. Is this what Gandhi dreamed about when he brought us independence. Or is this what the British anticipated when they left us? Is this Gandhi’s fault? Is he to blame to allow India to be split up into three countries based on religion/ region or what ever they thought of those days? Did he inspire the current day politicians to follow his line of thinking?Was Gandhi a saint or a typical political leader disguised as one? Is this regional bias fair to the people of India? Is it so necessary that we have to make new borders within our country (Whats left of it anyway). Or it’s just another old skin new cheese political gimmick, to enhance vote bank. Are politiciana now a days so incompetent that they need to create hatred amongst people to win election. Hatred for the next person, hatred for other states/regions, hatred for India itself. Where is this going? Our country our people are all being misled and we all know this but we still dance for the piper, following him towards a state of utmost anarchy and chaos.
This is not a personal campaign against the situation in Bombay. The state of Andhra Pradesh takes this charade to a totally new level. They don’t give a flying duck about people from other regions or other state. They want freedom from their own state government. They are ready to take arm against people from their own state, similar language, similar cultural. They are like brother/sisters. Yet when one fine day when a not so famous political leader decided that he wants his share of the lime light, they let him have it. His share of lime light, some blood of innocent for drinks, you know it almost satisfied his lust for power. The brothers (Andhraities, teleganans, rayalseemans) who had been living in harmony, suddenly decided that each of them were oppressed and not cared by the other. They wanted a separate state for themselves with their own representatives leading them. Yeah the same old wanna be politician. Is the common man so dumb that he can’t see through this veil of ancient rajneeti (Politics)?
I ask all you all the same question above all these questions. Are we going to let them politicians take us to the cleaners and pay the bill for cleaning too? Will we let them break Tamil Nadu, Teleanga, Mumbai etc.? Or will we fight for them states as one country as we fight for Kashmir, Arunachal Pradesh etc.? Do Citizens of the Republic of India truly and sincerely do not want to be a part of the Republic. Will history see India as another U.S.S.R which was so great a superpower but could not handle internal pressures and so succumbed to other pressures? What is the future for India like, a Great United superpower with the citizens ready to die for it at seconds notice? Or will it be a geographically close 36 countries each fight for basic survival? What are we going to do? What are you going to do? What? What? What?
I sincerely thank you all for reading this frustrating questionnaire of a young Indian citizen. I truly believe that we Indians may be corrupt, we may be thieves, we may be frauds, but we (excluding the disgusting politicians) are all true patriots at heart. It’s time we unite, not as a political movement but as selfless movement thinking only about the good of INDIA. I’ll quote from a famous “American” movie here which I hope will be inspiring to all “We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!”
It’s time we spread the word.
Jai Hind.
BTW I got my learner’s license an hour after this conversation took place (are you kidding? no!! not from the same guy but from the guy of the same region. So, all this regional bias is a political gimmick to break us up. No more Question my readers. On this note I rest my case.) cheerios
14 comments:
here's my take on it...people get the government they deserve....and we people constitute the society...we have learned to tolerate things dat shouldn't be tolerated...all our fault...no point in blaming politicians...the onus is on us...we are the culprits
My comments:
1. Loved the magenta red background
2. Love the "offensive" tone which i could never write in. I know how super annoyed you must have felt, being subjected to this!
3. I don't get what these kind of cops 'feed-off' from? The kind of disgust they show to people they are supposed to protect is appalling.
4. I'm sure Gandhiji is turning in his grave looking at the state of the country right now. First it was Kashmir and then its AP i don't know what next!! It would kill me to see bombay in the state that Hyderabad is in now!
5. My personal experience in the Telangana matter has been a sad one. My entire vacation to India to be with my loved ones was ruined thanks to this political gimmick. My dad almost escaped a bunch of revolting students/youngsters who tried to throw a huge rock at his car. I don't understand how the cost of lives can be worth any cause?!!!
6. I agree with Sandesh, it is time we as the people do something to stop this kinda bullshit. The political scenario needs a major revamp in India. I think a dictator would serve good!
7. I loved the fact that you used the finishing lines from my favourite movie "Independence Day" :D
8. JAI HIND!!!
9. Congrats on your driving license, and we will kick that cop guy's ass the next time we met him!
Good way of expressing your emotions......I like it......
But u could have avoided this hassle if u would have been able to make the conversation in Marathi. After all you are staying in Mumbai for five years........
keep it up and keep on writing.....
(Monty)
Gosh.. What a lousy bad cop...I am glad you got your learner's
Awesome post... I like the way you expressed all you emotions...
I agree with Lakshmi.. Several people who died for this country will turn in grave.
Regarding Andhra... That topic is better untouched..
Keep writing... :)
hahaha...m amazed readin Laksmi comment...she is more fascinated abt how his beau actually made it look...packaging industry is at its boom thn the real matter within it...
Dude...take my word....put the guys name on your blog and as a one liner on your profile....let people know his name distinctively...so next time he reject a 10 applicants like u...some one answers him back and makes him realise that people are keeping a record of him....this will kick him hard...
I challenge...got the guts....do it man....writing blogs just with anonymous situations is making no good....make it real...hit it hard...nothings more scary then treasuring the fear within and letting it grow....
Well drafted experience.Anyway, you finally got your learner licence, that proves that not every one is bad.Every region has bad and good guys.Like in Andhra, here also you are in an advantageous position if you are a local.We carried with us a Maharashtrian while shifting from Thane to Malad and we could move out of check naka without any problem.I also feel ashamed that i do not speak Marathi after staying for 4 decades,Even now it is not late,let me see whether i will ever learn.I am a domicile and i should.
Good,continue writing.
Best wishes,
Pedda Naanna
@Lakshmi... thnx ra.. :). but i didn write this blog to kick the guys ass.. no use ra.. :D.. my point is to make people aware of the situation. :) its not a personal vendetta against him. appreciate the comments :D
@Monty... my mann.. i don knw the imp of learning "marathi" how do u think i unnderstood wat he sd.. i didn not want to use that advantage.. my point here is not tht i want to avoid the hassle.. my point here is "Y" the hassle.. :) but i knw when to use marathi.. im not saying i haven't used marathi or telugu to my advantage. Im sayin y does it have to come to it.. and i knw of many frenz who have received formal marathi education and still don't wish to speak in it.. :) not hindi speak ppl but portugal ppl...(i knw sandesh and he knwz them) I never sd i dont want to learn marathi or disprespect the language. But are the political parties ready to conduct free classes for "outsiders" for them to learn the language, their way of life? no they only want thm to get lost using the language and "outsider" tag as a reason..:) rest my case.. and yeah sandesh cld highlight this point better :)
@ poonam thnx ra.
but i don't lik that like .. lets not discuss about andhra.. its our responsibility to discuss and try n find a solution..:)
@Jenil.. this point is not to make this a battle i don't care about tht cop. I don't want him to b personally responsible for the "inception" of him.. i mean lik the movies these ideas have been put in2 his head by politicians.. :) so hope he realises tht :) and lets not discuss my guts here..:) its not about satisfying my ego tht i wrote this blog and also i have hd enuf of ur challenges :D during Zephyr :P
ITs about defusing the situation not about adding fuel to the fire... but i knw whr ur thought come from.. thnx appreciate it.. BTW way i dont knw the cops name.. :) i don't pay attention to such mundane things..and thts his job paying attention to names and surnames:D.. thx for ur input appreciate it :D
@peddanna thnx.. yeah thts wat i am trying to say its not only bombay tht has this problem its the same case in hyderabad also :)
and yeah no bad words this time.. :D
There's no point blaming anyone. Trust me, at some point of time, we all have done the same thing: treated people differently depending upon their language, religion etc. the difference is that we realized our mistake later and made sure not to repeat that again. I don't know if your Bad Cop must have realized it or not.
He is no different. May be even he must have experienced some similar incident, who knows. But this doesn't mean that I am supporting that cop. I hope at least now he understands his faults and do not discriminate next time.
At present, in every part of the world something similar is happening (I hope you don't get to experience this in your near future). So, I think before expecting others to change their point of view it's more important that we change our frame of mind first. May be then someone like you don't get to face the same situation.
@ shruti.. thnx.. :)
and if i do face a situation like that in the "near future" u'l knw it becuz the will be a new post that will say "Racism" :D cheers
understand ur point of view thnx..
Hi,
Bombay has been renamed to Mumbai, please change the reference on Bombay from your posts, instead of calling you Kamesh if i call you Karan will it be the same. Why dont you people understand this is a issue?
@ anonymous hii
thnx for the comment and reading my blog.... u see the issue here is not MUmbai or Bombay and also not UR peoply or my ppl. its about the way u are thinking.... i mean im tyring to explain to you tht our country is going no whr becuz of all this.. and u r only focussing on the minute details.... :) i really appreciate ur concern for the name of our city. I hope you feel the same for our country and its citizens.... thnx agn for ur valuable comment i'l keep it in mind i hope next time u can write ur name instead so tht address u with ur name :).. cheers
how can u ever call your own country-man as an "outsider"...horrendous...btw i stand for "Mile sur mera tumhara in Marathi"...everything in Marathi...even at a place where the economy depends on migration...just as an example, let me mention Nasik....all the "bhaiyyas" kicked out and small scale industries closing down bcoz of no good labour...let us gift Mumbai with the same fate...i m sure everyone would love it's bucolic existence once all businesses are closed...waise bhi i m tired of this city life
@Kaza,
I agree that our country is going no where, but city name you have used is wrong and you are hurting peoples sentiments by using name Bombay instead of Mumbai. Bombay is a British name and if you like using it then you are insulting the great people who fought 150 years for our freedom. What a shame, people write whatever they feel on their blogs but have no respect for what their forefathers fought for. Hence i urge you to please rename the name of the city used in your Blog. Thank you in advance Kaza.
You can address me as Anonymous_1.
Post a Comment